Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Franken Gone Wrong... Continued...

First of all I would like to say thank you for all your wonderful feedback to my Franken Gone Wrong post. I am glad to know I'm not alone in this. Some of you had this happen to them, some offered logical explanations for the color change (cooper vs true gold) and some of you were intrigued by the resulting green and requested samples. I debated if I was brave enough to swatch this and turns out I am. My nails have not fallen off yet and I'm really hoping that remains the case. For now, here are a few swatches as requested...


In terms of application, it is much thicker than the clear version it started out as. In fact is is quite goopy at this point. Surprisingly the application was not bad and neither was the dry time. It was about what I would expect for a jelly. It has gotten darker over the last 24 hours and the gold flakes seem to be dissolving. One reader yesterday mentioned that on her attempt at this, the flakes did indeed eventually disintegrate. I'm anticipating this to happen here as well...

Left to right: 3 coats of franken alone, 2 coats over OPI My Vampire is Buff, 2 coats over Color Club Wild Cactus...


Three coats of the franken alone... The nail line is still visible, but actually pretty decent coverage alone at 3 coats...


Two coats over OPI My Vampire is Buff...

Two coats over Color Club Wild Cactus... probably my favorite combination...

Just a quick shot of what it looks like today... the flakes that at the bottom are currently stuck and won't come up even with shaking...


And here is what it looked like yesterday... it is lighter and visibly larger flakes...


Hope that answers some questions :)

P.S. I issue an official apology for referring to St. Patrick's Day as St. Patty's Day. Apparently it is St. Paddy's Day and not St. Patty's Day. Obviously I have no Irish background and just had no clue. I stand corrected! I had to google my mistake and came across this fun site which explains the difference... paddynotpatty.com. I take solace the fact that I am not alone in making this mistake or there wouldn't be a site dedicated to educating those of us who get it wrong :D

Thanks for looking!
Anutka :)

13 comments:

  1. Hee hee, I feel a bit silly about seemingly falling out over the Patty/Paddy thing (I could've said it nicer, not so angry sounding), but props for correcting the title!
    (I wasn't sure if you allow posting URLs, I wanted to add that funny site explaining the difference)

    As for this manicure - all due respect to you, I wouldn't dare putting it on my nails, although it looks gorgeous!, especially over "wild cactus" ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for taking us on your Franken journey! I've always wondered about doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah, it keeps changing color! Now you have to do weekly updates to see how it progresses! :D

    It's a surprisingly pretty color on your nails, though, even so. I didn't think that much of the gold would still come through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be sad if the flakes will disintegrate because it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's even more beautiful on than in the bottle!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL - someone really corrected your use of St. Pattys Day? I'm Irish and I call it that. Oops.
    The polish is looking cooler by the day! I like that it still pulled some gold flake on to your nail despite its extinction!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love how it looks on your nails, in every three version :D
    have you tried to put some metal balls in that franken, they are great for mixing glitter polishes

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually like the look of it with all the flakies at the bottom as well, looks like treasure at the bottom lol. I prefer it over the dark base as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa, that's crazy! I happen to think it looks kinda cool the way it has....but then again, if it changes more....

    BTW, I think I've called it St. Patty's day.....oops!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It keeps on being interesting - And the result is really cool! It's probably not what one would have expected but I like it anyhow. You won't find a color like this somewhere else!
    Keep on updating the change of this ... well, mysterious polish :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the way it looks over wild cactus, to bad it's disintegrating.

    I had to lol at the St.Patty Vs St.Paddy thing... I call it St.Patty because if you know someone named Patrick in real life, you call them Pat, not Pad... So I always assummed it it was Patty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @purple_rain, no offense taken! I would rather be corrected than insult someone else's culture and traditions. I hesitated using it as well, but used a good basecoat under the swatches of it alone and felt ok using it as a topper...

    @maRyya, thank you so much! :)

    @Lydia, you are so welcome! I'm happy to see there was so much interest. If it changes dramatically, I'll update again...

    @gelli fied, I will definitely update if it changes some more! I'm glad you like it :)

    @MissAdelinne, I'm a bit sad at the thought also... it also is thickening up even more and I suspect will be unusable soon...

    @ourpaintedworld, thank you so much sweetie! I'm glad you like it :)

    @Gnarly Gnails, we live and learn right? I have heard guys named Patrick being called Patty and didn't think much of it. Now I'm edjumacated :P

    @nail crazy, I do have 3 balls in there for mixing... it has gotten so thick that they won't move and the ones stuck on the bottom with the flakes are really stuck :)

    @Choi, It does look like a treasure. Too bad the treasure is dissolving and won't come out to play :)

    @Angie, It does look cool at the moment. I actually really like it also. I suspect it will be too thick to use pretty soon and there are less gold flakes as the days go by... And I'm glad to know I'm not alone in calling it St. Patty's :D

    @Alex, The emerald color is gorgeous. I see to have luck with this color. I'll definitely update if it changes dramatically :)

    @Karen, that's my favorite combo too. Really show off the gold flakes. I completely agree... You call them Pat or Patty, but makes sense as the Irish name has a D in it. Live and learn :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and reading what you have to say! So don't be shy... comment! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...